Landed Banking and Loan Company Building
Address: 47 James Street South
Date Built: 1908
The Landed Banking and Loan Company Building erected in 1908 was designed by local architect Charles Mills, as a copy of New York City's Knickerbocker Trust and Safe Deposit Bank.
In the Classical Revival style, with its soaring Corinthian columns, the edifice was designed purposely to look like an ancient Greek temple -- in this case a "temple dedicated to commerce". Historically, this structure, designated under the Ontario Heritage Act, is now the oldest bank building still standing in the city's original financial district on James Street South.
Written by: Bill Manson
Search for Books at Chapters