Griffin House

Tags: Ancaster, Clapboard, Doors Open Hamilton 2009, Doors Open Hamilton 2010, Doors Open Hamilton 2011, Doors Open Hamilton 2013, Hamilton Civic Museums, House

Address: 733 Mineral Springs Road
Date Built: 1828  

"The Griffin House, built circa 1828, sits atop a hill on Mineral Springs Road overlooking the beautiful Dundas Valley. Originally, the farm was part of a 200 acre lot granted to David Cummings in 1798. Enerals Griffin, an escaped black slave from Virginia, purchased a 50 acre parcel in 1834 from George Hogeboom, a local contractor. In 1988, the property was sold to the Hamilton Region Conservation Authority by the estate of the last owner, a descendant of Griffin.

The small one and a half storey house is significant both from an architectural and historical point of view. One of the few remaining clapboard homes from the first half of the 19th century in the Ancaster area, it represents a modest working man's farmhouse. Its intact condition with few alterations makes it a significant architectural structure. In addition, the house and site are one of the earliest surviving homesteads in the province." 1

This location is one of Hamilton's Civic Museums. If you wish to visit, information about the museum is available at The City of Hamilton's website.

1City of Hamilton Municipal Heritage Committee. Hamiltons Heritage Volume 5 - Reasons for Designation under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act link


Exterior Images:


Back Of The Griffin HouseView Of Griffin House From The FarmlotSide Of The Griffin HouseOvergrown OutbuildingOld OuthouseGriffin House Eighteen Twenty EightThe Griffin House Historic Plaque