"Battlefield House was constructed about 1796, first as a rough-hewn log house, and later as a storey-and-a-half frame house, it was the home of the widow Mary Jones Gage and her two children, James and Elizabeth, who had journeyed to the area from New York State in 1790.
On June 5, 1813, the Gage residence was forced to become the headquarters for the invading American troops who had occupied the house. Generals Winder and Chandler and a force of several thousand U.S. soldiers marching toward the capital at York had camped there for the night. During the evening a 19 year old local lad, Billy Green, warned the British forces at Burlington Heights and successfully led a party of about 700 British regulars under the leadership of Col. John Harvey in a night attack on the U.S. troops.
In the ensuing skirmish both U.S. generals were captured and the invading forces put to flight as they retreated to Fort George. The Battle of Stoney Creek is regarded by many historians as a significant turning point in the War of 1812 as it marks the furthest extent of American advance into Upper Canada during the conflict." 1
This location is one of Hamilton's Civic Museums.
1City of Hamilton Municipal Heritage Committee. Hamiltons Heritage Volume 5 - Reasons for Designation under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act link