The Pasadena Apartments are located on Bold Street, just west of James Street South. The building was constructed in 1914 for broker Martin E. Smith.
"It was during the early 1910s that the apartment house made its first appearance in Hamilton as a specialized building type. The Pasadena is significant as one of the early and well-designed examples of a building type that by the 1920s had proliferated throughout the city."1
1Hamilton LACAC (Municipal Heritage Committee) Hamilton's Heritage Volume 5: Reasons for Designation Under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act