Durand contains some of the finest examples of residential architecture in Hamilton.
It is bounded by Queen Street to the west, Main Street to the north, James Street South to the east and the Niagara Escarpment the South.
"The Durand neighbourhood began in 1791 as 274 acres owned by a few wealthy speculators, including George Hamilton who founded the city. Interestingly, James Durand, for whom the neighbourhood is named never actually owned any of this property. (Peace, 1996)
From the 1840s to the mid 1870s the population of the Durand exploded from just a few buildings to being over fifty percent developed by the mid 1870s and fully developed by the end of the 19th century. (Peace, 1996; Peace, 2012)
Of course, during this time the use of the land moved out of the hands of only wealthy speculators and the trend of Durand being a very economically diverse area began. This continues today as you walk from Main Street West toward the base of the escarpment, the single family homes grow exponentially in size, as do the pocket books of their owners. (Peace, 1996)"
By: Ashleigh Patterson & Geoff Rose
This eight story International style building was erected in 1960. It was designed by City Architect Stanley Roscoe.
The building that would become known as Whitehern was built between 1848 and 1850 for city clerk and attorney Richard Duggan. The house was purchased by Dr. Calvin McQuesten in 1852.
Ballinahinch was built for Hamilton merchant Aeneas Sage Kennedy in the 1850's. It was used temporarily used as a hospital during the Spanish Influenza pandemic of 1918-1919.
Central Presbyterian Church
Central Presbyterian Church is located on the corner of Caroline and Charlton. The building was designed by architect John M. Lyle and built in 1908.
Central Public School
The first graded public school in Ontario. Built in 1853. It was renovated in 1891. It is at this time the clock tower was added.
First Christian Reformed Church
First Christian Reformed Church on Charlton Ave was home to a Methodist church, then a Baptist church before it was bought by First Christian Reformed.
MacNab Street Presbyterian Church
Built in 1856-1857. The congregation of the MacNab Street Presbyterian Church formed as on offshoot of the Knox Free Church located on James & Cannon Streets.
Main (Carnegie) Library
This building housed the Hamilton Public Library from 1913 until the new Central Library building was built at Jackson Square. It now contains the Unified Family Court.
St Pauls Presbyterian Church
St. Paul's Presbyterian Church was originally called St. Andrew's. The current building was erected between 1854 and 1857.
105 Aberdeen Avenue
This Queen Anne style mansion was built on land severed from the Inglewood estate in 1893 for lawyer Patrick M. Bankier.
64 Aberdeen Avenue Undercliffe
Undercliffe is made entirely of cut stone and sits on a very large double lot, although the original lot was much larger. The lot was severed several times.
Amisfield, also known as The Castle, was built in 1840. It now stands almost entirely hidden from view by modern commercial development, but the top of the building can still be from James Street South.
The Balfour House at 250 James Street S was built by architect James Balfour in the Second Empire style.
Canadian Football Hall Of Fame
The Canadian Hall of Fame officially opened on November 28, 1972. It is located on 58 Jackson Street, beside City Hall.
Conservatory of Music
The Hamilton Conservatory of Music building was built here in 1905 after operations outgrew the original location, a rented building at Main and Charles. The Conservatory closed in 1980, but the building was saved and the Hamilton Conservatory for the Arts opened here in 1998.
Doors Pub est. 1993 - 56 Hess South was built in 1852 by a contractor & quarry owner, Robert McElroy
The Ivy Manor at 272 Park Street S.
This house was built in 1904 for Hamilton business man Thomas Lawry.
Queen Street Pumphouse Residence
The Victorian Second-Empire style red brick home at 188 Markland was built c. 1895 to house the engineer responsible for manning the Queen Street Pump House which stood just behind the house.
1 Markland Street
Private Residence. Part of the Durand-Markland Heritage Conservation District.
1 Turner Avenue
This house on the south-east corner of Turner and Aberdeen was built in 1907 by architect Joshua A. Armes for original owner, Emma Fuller.
107 Aberdeen Avenue Haddo House
Although the architect of record is Charles Mills, the current owners tell the story of having been told by a local architect when they purchased the home in the 1970's that they were living in a home designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.
108 Aberdeen Avenue Burnewin
The home was designed by architect William Souter as his own residence. It is made of stone and was constructed at the same time as the Souter-designed Cathedral of Christ the King was being built in west Hamilton.
112 Aberdeen Avenue
The home sits on a large lot on the north side of Aberdeen Avenue. Originally, it had a porch running across the front of the house. The home was purchased by Stephan Washington in 1907.
12 Ravenscliffe Avenue
The home was designed by Munro & Mead, for Mr. Phin who apparently was involved in the dredging of the Welland Canal. The home has had only two owners since it was built in 1910. The current owner has lived there since 1976.
301 Bay Street South Malloch House
The home occupies a prominent spot on the southeast corner of Bay St. South and Markland. Originally, the front door was on Bay Street, but later was bricked in and moved to Markland. Its design is a mix of Victorian and Queen Anne.
358 Bay Street South
The home was built for Joseph Pigott, President of Pigott Construction, in the Tudor revival style. It was designed by William Souter, architect of the Cathedral of Christ the King on King Street West. Souter's own home was around the corner at 108 Aberdeen.
362 Bay Street South
The home sits on 4 acres and was built in the style of a Norman manor house the Niblet's had seen on a trip to France. The home is constructed of reinforced concrete and concrete block with a cut stone cladding.
60 Aberdeen Avenue
The home was purchased unfinished for $5,500 from, or through, a lawyer named George Martin. It sits on a large, double lot. Originally #62, Mr. Greening changed it to #60 in 1900. In 1918, the house was purchased by Paul Kompass for $8,000.
7 Ravenscliffe Avenue
7 Ravenscliffe Avenue was designed for Henry B. Witton, Vice President of the Tuckett Tobacco Company, by his brother, William Palmer Witton, a well-regarded Hamilton architect.
The Pasadena Apartments are located on Bold Street, just west of James Street South. The building was constructed in 1914 for broker Martin E. Smith and is a very early example of an apartment building in Hamilton.