The Custom House for the United province of Canada, overlooking Port Hamilton and the Great Western Railway yards, opened in 1860. Over the decades, the Renaissance-Italian style building has been adaptively reused - perhaps more than any other heritage building in Hamilton -- as a school, residential apartments, a YWCA branch, a poorhouse, a shelter for immigrants, a textile factory, a macaroni factory, and a martial arts academy. Today it is home to the Ontario Workers Arts and Heritage Centre.
Written by: Bill Manson
Search for Books at Chapters