Central is bounded by Queen Street to the west, the CN Rail line to the north, James Street North to the east and Main Street to the South.
This area now contains Jackson Square, a few modern office towers and hotels, the Art Gallery of Hamilton and Hess Village.
Central has gone through many changes over Hamilton's history. The area now occupied by Jackson Square and the Hamilton City Centre once contained a bustling open-air farmers market, and was the site of a few of our early town and city hall buildings. These important locations were demolished in the 1960s in an effort to revitalize the downtown core.
Jewish Youth Centre & Talmud Torah
The Jewish Youth Centre had many homes over the years. It was a place where youth could gather to socialize, play sports, study the Torah and learn Yiddish. During the 30's it cost approximately .25 - .50 cents for a membership.
Ohev Zedeck Hess Street Shul
This building formerly housed Ohev Zedeck or Hess Street Shul . The building was renovated and renamed the Church of Jesus Christ and is now the House of Peace Church.
Adas Israel Anshe Sfard Synagogue
Adas Israel, an Orthodox congregation, was formed by immigrants from central Poland and Galicia. In 1914 they adopted the name Adas Israel Anshe Poilen, also known as the Cannon Street Shul. The synagogue is now located at 125 Cline Ave S in Hamilton.
Centenary United Church
Located on Main Street West at MacNab Street. This building, in the Victorian-Romanesque style, opened in 1868 as Centenary Methodist Church.
Built in 1860. Custom House is currently home to the Ontario Workers Arts and Heritage Museum.
International Press Printers
International Press Printers was established by Henry Balinson in 1911. Henry was the publisher and the printer creating the only Yiddish newspaper in Hamilton
MacNab St North Rowhouses
This stunning brick Victorian terrace was begun in 1879 by John Larkin. Most of the original features of the row have been preserved.
The Hamilton Orange Society erected this building in 1905.
This 18-storey structure, Hamilton's first steel-skeleton skyscraper, was erected in 1929 at a cost of $1,000,000.
This Italianate style House was erected in 1854 for George Roach, an early Hamilton Mayor.
St Marys Roman Catholic Pro Cathedral
St Mary's Roman Catholic Church was erected in 1860 as the Cathedral of the Bishop of Hamilton. In 1921, when the Cathedral of Christ the King was erected, St Mary's became the Pro-Cathedral.