Buildings used as residences: Houses, Manors, Mansions, Cottages and Cabins.
The building that would become known as Whitehern was built between 1848 and 1850 for city clerk and attorney Richard Duggan. The house was purchased by Dr. Calvin McQuesten in 1852.
105 Aberdeen Avenue
This Queen Anne style mansion was built on land severed from the Inglewood estate in 1893 for lawyer Patrick M. Bankier.
64 Aberdeen Avenue Undercliffe
Undercliffe is made entirely of cut stone and sits on a very large double lot, although the original lot was much larger. The lot was severed several times.
The Balfour House at 250 James Street S was built by architect James Balfour in the Second Empire style.
The Ivy Manor at 272 Park Street S.
This house was built in 1904 for Hamilton business man Thomas Lawry.
Queen Street Pumphouse Residence
The Victorian Second-Empire style red brick home at 188 Markland was built c. 1895 to house the engineer responsible for manning the Queen Street Pump House which stood just behind the house.
The Garnett House
This house was built in 1969 for the Garnett Family by architect Anthony Butler.
107 Aberdeen Avenue Haddo House
Although the architect of record is Charles Mills, the current owners tell the story of having been told by a local architect when they purchased the home in the 1970's that they were living in a home designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.
108 Aberdeen Avenue Burnewin
The home was designed by architect William Souter as his own residence. It is made of stone and was constructed at the same time as the Souter-designed Cathedral of Christ the King was being built in west Hamilton.
301 Bay Street South Malloch House
The home occupies a prominent spot on the southeast corner of Bay St. South and Markland. Originally, the front door was on Bay Street, but later was bricked in and moved to Markland. Its design is a mix of Victorian and Queen Anne.
358 Bay Street South
The home was built for Joseph Pigott, President of Pigott Construction, in the Tudor revival style. It was designed by William Souter, architect of the Cathedral of Christ the King on King Street West. Souter's own home was around the corner at 108 Aberdeen.
362 Bay Street South
The home sits on 4 acres and was built in the style of a Norman manor house the Niblet's had seen on a trip to France. The home is constructed of reinforced concrete and concrete block with a cut stone cladding.
60 Aberdeen Avenue
The home was purchased unfinished for $5,500 from, or through, a lawyer named George Martin. It sits on a large, double lot. Originally #62, Mr. Greening changed it to #60 in 1900. In 1918, the house was purchased by Paul Kompass for $8,000.
7 Ravenscliffe Avenue
7 Ravenscliffe Avenue was designed for Henry B. Witton, Vice President of the Tuckett Tobacco Company, by his brother, William Palmer Witton, a well-regarded Hamilton architect.
917 8th Concession W
Stone house at 917 8th Concession Road, west of Strabane. It was built in 1880 by John Robertson. This house feature Aberdeen bond stonework.
Battlefield House was constructed around 1796. It was the home of the widow Mary Jones Gage and her two children, James and Elizabeth, who had journeyed to the area from New York State in 1790.
The stone Brandon House located at the corner of Wilson Street East and Rousseaux Street.
Claremont Lodge was built in 1855 as the gatehouse for Auchmar Manor.
Dr Henry Orton House
The Dr. Henry Orton House was built in 1846. The second floor was added at a later date.
Foxbar was likely built in the 1840s in the Italianate style. It is located south of Governor's Road and overlooks Spencer Creek in Dundas.
The Griffin House, built circa 1828, sits atop a hill on Mineral Springs Road in the Dundas Valley. Griffin House is a Hamilton Civic Museum.
Located on Forest Avenue. Also known as Quarrington House, Rastrick House was the home of architect Frederick Rastrick.
This Italianate style House was erected in 1854 for George Roach, an early Hamilton Mayor.
Built in 1848 and originally owned by Alexander Carpenter of the Gurney and Carpenter foundry company. It was later known as Rannoch Lodge, being renamed by Thomas Patterson MP.
The Christie House
The Christie House was designed by architect Jim Christie as his personal residence. The home was added to several times over the years to accommodate children and Jim's practice, which always operated out of the home.
The Dingwall House
This home was designed in the late 1950s by architect J.D. Kyles for Dr. Dingwall on the west mountain at the edge of the escarpment.
The Fawcett House
Trevor Garwood-Jones designed this house overlooking Dundas from the edge of the escarpment.
The Garwood Jones House
The Garwood-Jones House was designed by architect Trevor Garwood-Jones in 1970 as
his private residence. Overlooking Hamilton from the west, the home makes use of the
same brick as was used on Hamilton Place, also designed by the architect.
The Gerrie House
The Gerrie House was designed by architect Mac Gerrie in 1966 as his personal residence. The house is hidden from the street by a horizontal wall constructed of wood.
The Hammond House
Located near the border between Ancaster and Dundas, the house was completed in 1972 and is still owned by the person who commissioned architect Lloyd Kyles to design the house.
The Kyles House
The Kyles House designed by architect J.D. Kyles in 1955 as his personal residence. It is located in Greensville, near Dundas.
The Lennard House
The Lennard House designed by architect Harry Lennard in 1971 for his parents. It is a dodecagon - 12 equal sides. The house uses structural steel supported by a concrete cylinder.
The Markson House
The Markson House was designed by architect Jerome Markson as his first residential commission after graduation. He designed two other houses on the same street, and a number of other houses in Hamilton.
The Roscoe House
The Roscoe House was designed by architect Stanley Roscoe in 1955 as his personal
residence. Stanley Roscoe also designed Hamilton's City Hall in 1959.
Tuckett Mansion (Scottish Rite)
Completed in 1896 for George Elias Tuckett, founder of Tuckett Tobacco and the 27th mayor of Hamilton. The Tuckett Mansion is now the meeting place of the Scottish Rite of Freemasonry.
William Pring House
William Pring, appointed Surveyor of Customs in 1851, had this house built in 1855 for himself and his family.