St Johns Church
Written on the plaque:
In 1824 the first church building erected on this prominent site was a "free" church shared by the Anglicans and the Presbyterians. On 10 October 1830 Bishop Charles Stewart of Quebec consecrated the splendid wooden structure as The Church Of St. John for Anglican use. On 27 February 1868 the first church burned. The present stone structure was built and opened for worshop on 9 May 1869.
Designed by the Toronto architects Gundry and Langley in the late Gothic Revival style, and built of local stone, its most distinctive feature is on the square stone tower over the narthex.
Ministry of Culture and Communication
Town of Ancaster Historical Society
Ancaster Local Architectural Conservation Advisory Committee