St Marys Roman Catholic Pro Cathedral
In 1838, a frame Roman Catholic church, St Mary of the Immaculate Conception, was erected on this site. When it was severely damage by fire in 1859, it was demolished and St Mary's Roman Catholic Church was erected in 1860 as the Cathedral of the Bishop of Hamilton. In 1921, when the Cathedral of Christ the King was erected, St Mary's became the Pro-Cathedral.
Between 1860 and 1921, St Mary's stood at the centre of a large complex including St. Augustine's School. St Mary's Boys School, St Mary's Presbytery, the Church Refectory, St Mary's Girls School, and St Joseph's Convent and Chapel, parts of which were later incorporated into the St Cyril and Methodius Slovak Roman Catholic Church.
Written by: Bill Manson
Search for Books at Chapters