MacNab Street Presbyterian Church

Tags: Church, Doors Open Hamilton 2009, Doors Open Hamilton 2010, Doors Open Hamilton 2013, Durand, Stone

Address: 116 MacNab Street South
Date Built: 1857  

Built in 1856-1857. The congregation of the MacNab Street Presbyterian Church formed as on offshoot of the Knox Free Church located on James & Cannon Streets. A small church was built on this location in 1854, but attendance rose so dramatically that a new church was needed almost immediately. It is not clear which architect designed this building, but possibilities include Albert Hills or William Thomas. Notable persons who attended this church include Isaac Buchanan, the builder of Auchmar Estate. It was Buchanan who laid the cornerstone of this church in 1856. The McQuesten family of nearby Whitehern also attended this church.


Exterior Images:


Distant View Of The ChurchView Of Church Tower From A DistanceLooking Up At Stone TowerMacNab Street Presbyterian ChurchMacNab Street Presbyterian ChurchMacNab Street Presbyterian ChurchMacNab Street Presbyterian Church